A Taste of Peru

| April 17, 2010 | 13 Comments

Editor’s note — If things have seemed a little silent around these parts, it’s because at least one half of the intrepid Two Go Round-The-World duo has been on a small group tour of Peru. Offered by Gap Adventures, this 10-day tour is dubbed a ‘Taste of Peru’ and encompasses Lima, the Amazon and the Andes. While it is our intention to feature the trip in a number of comprehensive articles, we couldn’t help but share a few small previews while in the midst of the trip. Unfortunately, owing to her teaching schedule, Kathryn was unable to join us. However, as this amazing region is certainly deserving of a return visit, she’ll be guaranteed the opportunity soon!

After joining up in Lima with Jesús, our Gap Adventures CEO, we headed straight for Puerto Maldonado, a smaller city in Southeastern Peru. Situated in the Amazon forest, it’s approximately 55km west of the Bolivian border. Puerto Maldonado sits at the confluence of the Tambopata and Madre de Dios, which is itself a tributary of the Amazon.

Following a short drive from Puerto Moldanado, we took a boat up the Tambopata to the stunning Posadas Amazonas lodge, a rustic but very comfortable 30-room eco-tourist initiative that is jointly owned by the Ese-Eja community of Infierno and is located inside the community’s private reserve. The community’s reserve encompasses some of the most pristine primary rainforests in the world and offers easy access to several oxbow lakes and clay licks, where hundreds of birds feed on riverbank clay.

It was the perfect place for a two-day introduction to the Amazon’s diverse flora and fauna. On the first day, we observed Scarlet Macaws and Toucans from the lodge’s 37-metre observation tower high above the rain forest canopy. After watching the sunset, we descended the tower and were treated to a very special run in with a family of Dusky Titis (a small monkey). That night, we turned in early for a special 4am wakeup so that we could travel by boat to an oxbow lake wherein we observed river otters feeding as the sun came up. We spent the morning navigating the lake aboard the community’s purpose-built catamaran and were treated to more Macaws, falcons and eagles, as well as Caymans. Aftwerwards, we fished for piranha. It was an amazing day!

Anyhow, we’re off to Cusco shortly to explore the city before taking in the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu. As it’s late here and I’ve an early start tomorrow, I’ll leave you here. Hope you enjoyed this brief glimpse into this amazing habitat. Hope you’re all well and I’ll report in from Cusco in the near future!

Tags:

Category: Dan's Blog

1. Kathryn says:

Aww, it looks amazing! Wish I was there…..sad:(

2. Dave and Deb says:

Have a great trip. We didn’t make it to the Amazon when we were in Peru. We were trying to make a flight to Puerto Moldanado work, but we just didn’t have enough time. Oh well, it gives us a great excuse to go back!

3. I spent some time in the Amazon in Ecuador and had an amazing time. I didn’t make it to the Amazon in Peru, but looks amazing. Have an awesome time, the guest house looks pretty nice!

4. I was at this very same eco-lodge in 2005! The view from atop the canopy tower was incredible. We went up at sunrise to listen to the orchestra of rainforest animals all singing, chirping and howling at the same time. The rooms are open to the jungle and we had a furry creature visit us late one night, knock over a candle on the nightstand and nearly burn down one of our beds. Good times!

It’s an amazing place, though. No doubt about it.

5. Europeeno says:

South Amercica is quickly growing in popularity for European travellers – Chile is a hot destination according to holiday business in the UK

6. Peter says:

Amazing photos, Daniel! I did a double-take when I saw the banana-leaf rice dish – for some reason my first though was “grubs! ewww!” – but the nature shots really show off Peru’s spectacular landscape.

I took the liberty of sharing your blog with the rest of my travel community, I hope that’s not a problem. I think they’d enjoy the read. :)

Looking forward to the update from Cusco!

Cheers,
    Peter

7. Organic says:

Peru reminds me of food! I remember when I was in Peru, they had salchipapa, which was amazing, papa la huancayena also amazing and antichuchos, weird but delicious but ceviche takes the cake as the most delicious!

8. Laura says:

I hope I’ll make it to Peru someday too…

9. Mark Benson says:

Peru is a beautiful destination for travel. The scenic beauty and the spectacularly alluring attractions attract many flights to Peru from every corner of the world.

10. Jonathan says:

Are you guys professional travellers who review tours like this (with GAP)? If so it sounds like you have the perfect job!

Tambopata and Manu are truly wonderful. Personally I prefer Manu as it is a little bit more untouched, but the accommodation is worse and it is less geared up for comfort tourism, but Puerto does take the cake with the fabulous canopy walkways on offer.

11. Jonathan says:

Apologies… my name is Jonathan. I was putting the name of the website.